Returning to the traditional weekend of May 20, individuals and teams are welcome for the MTA Lake James Triathlon which includes a lake swim, road bike course and a trail run. Taking place in the beautiful Paddy’s Creek Section of Lake James State Park, the triathlon consists of a 750 meter lake swim, 22 mile ride, and 5K run all perfect for both seasoned triathletes and those venturing into the sport for the first time. The race is also a benefit for the non profit McDowell Trails Association which help plan, develop, build and provide education and support for non-motorized trails in McDowell County, NC.
5 Reasons to Race The MTA Lake James Triathlon
- Water temps average 75 degrees for race day. That’s cool enough for a wet suit but not too cold to go without. The swim features a wave start and follows an open water course. And did we mention that the Lake James is beautiful and crystal clear!
- A beautiful bike ride! You can see Lake James on almost 75% of the bike course and the on-road course consists of 2 miles on state park property and than a 20 mile loop. (Download Course Map)
- The run is mix of trails and some pavement. Don’t let that scare you though. If you don’t run trails frequently the run (5K) is mostly on non-technical dirt trails with approximately 1/4 to 1/2 mile of pavement. (Download Course Map)
- Easy to get to! Lake James State Park is only 45 miles from Asheville, 92 miles from Charlotte, 132 miles from Greensboro, 88 miles from Greenville and 157 from Knoxville.
- Amazing volunteers from the minute you arrive to the awesome food that awaits you at the finish line. We do our best to make this race and the after party a unique and one of a kind opportunity. Did we mention the meal is always burritos and the desserts are homemade?
5 Register Now For The MTA Lake James Triathlon
Online registration is now open and will close on Thursday, May 18 at 9:00 PM.
Register For The MTA Lake James Triathlon